Cooking with Sarah Boorer
Michael is joined by Sarah Boorer, Communications professional & CWA award-winning cook, to look at the world of baked goods, delicious treats and & easy recipes.
This week Sarah cooks Crispy Zucchini Fritters (recipe courtesy recipetineats.com)
500 g/1 lb zucchini (2 medium ~ 23cm/9″ long)
1 tsp salt
1 large egg
2 green onions , halved then finely sliced
1/4 cup parmesan , grated (fresh or store bought)
1 garlic clove , large, minced
1/2 cup / 75 g flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of pepper
4 tbsp olive oil , separated
Yoghurt or sour cream
More chopped green onions
0. Grate zucchini using a box grater. Grate on the diagonal so you get long strands.
1. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Mix, then leave for 10 minutes+.
2. Squeeze out excess water using hands (or bundle up tea towel) then place zucchini in a bowl.
0. Preheat oven to 200F/100C (for keeping fritters warm). Place rack on tray (helps keep crispy)
1. Add egg, green onions, parmesan and garlic into the zucchini bowl. Mix to combine.
2. Scatter over flour and baking powder (don’t dump in one spot), and add pinch of pepper. Mix until flour is just incorporated – batter should be thick but soft (see video, Note 1).
0. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a non stick pan over medium high heat (or medium if stove is strong). Drop 1/4 cup batter in the pan (ice cream scoop is perfect). Do 3 or 4 mounds.
1. Flatten lightly with spatula to about 1cm / 4/5″ thick.
2. Cook for 3 minutes until underside is deep golden (adjust heat if browning too quickly). Flip and cook the other side for 3 minutes. Transfer to tray and place in oven to keep warm.
3. Repeat with remaining batter.
4. Serve immediately with a dollop of yoghurt or sour cream and garnish of extra green onions if desired.
Download this podcast here