Ben Farley from the Bbq School treated Chris and the team to some delicious food! And you can check out the recipes
BBQ Roasted Pork Belly
with Orange, Beer and Spice
2kg Pork Belly, skin on, boneless
1 Onions, roughly chopped
3 Oranges, slices
1 Bulb garlic
2 Cinnamon sticks
5 Bay leaves
Beer to cover base of pork belly
1. Pre-heat your BBQ to high.
2. For the pork, score the skin of the pork and sprinkle generously with salt.
3. Lay onion, oranges, ginger, garlic, spices, in a roasting tray, place pork on vegetables.
4. Pour beer into roasting tray, being careful to not wet pork skin, the liquid should come ¾ of the way up the pork, top up tray with water if necessary.
5. To cook the pork, place the tray in the center of the BBQ, with the center burners off and the side burners turned to medium, cook for 2hrs or until the pork is tender.
6. Remove the pork from the pan and place onto a tray, loosely cover with a clean cloth and allow to rest for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
7. To serve, cut into sliced and serve with a spicy fruit chutney and your favourite Jus. It is easier to cut the pork into perfect slices when the pork is placed crackling side down on the chopping board.
• Grate ad Juice 2 Oranges and reduce over a medium flame until a syrup.
• Add Veal Jus and Simmer for 10 mins.
• Set aside and serve with Pork Belly when ready.
White Chocolate and Spiced Cherry Brioche Pudding with Brandy Anglaise
Prep time – 15 minutes
Cook time – 25 minutes
Serves – 12
15 slices Brioche or white bread
Butter, at room temperature, to spread
190g Frozen cherry
100g White chocolate, finely chopped
2 egg Yolks
3 tbls Caster sugar
1 Orange, zested
1 tsp Vanilla paste
½ tsp Ground nutmeg
½ Ground cinnamon
600ml 35% Cream
200ml Full cream milk
150g Castor sugar
8 Egg yolks
1 tsp Heilala vanilla powder
1. Pre-heat the BBQ.
2. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper muffin cups
3. Spread each piece of bread with extra butter. Cut each piece into 4 triangles.
4. Arrange 3 bread triangles around the sides, pointed sides up. Divide the cherries and chocolate among the dishes. Top with the remaining bread triangles.
5. In a bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and yolks, caster sugar, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon and orange rind in a large jug. Pour a little of the milk mixture into each dish. Set aside for 2 minutes to soak. Divide the remaining milk mixture among the dishes.
6. For the analgise, heat, milk, cream, and vanilla over a low heat, in a bowl whisk together yolks and sugar. Slowly add the warmed milk to the yolks, mix well, then return to the heat and cook until the custard coasts the back of a spoon, Stir in the brandy, keep warm until ready to serve.
7. To cook, place muffin tray in BBQ on the resting rack (or elevated from BBQ grill) with the centre burner off and the side burners set to medium, bake for 20-25minutes until the custard just sets and the bread is golden on top.
8. To serve, remove from the liner and spoon over anglaise.
Download this podcast here