Cooking with Sarah Boorer
Luke Grant is joined by Sarah Boorer, Communications professional & CWA award-winning cook, to look at the world of baked goods, delicious treats and & easy recipes.
This week Sarah whips up Burnt Basque Cheesecake (recipe courtesy Charlotte Ree)
1 kg cream cheese, at room temperature
300 g caster sugar
6 free range eggs, at room temperature
500 ml thickened cream
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
80 g plain flour
- Line a 20 cm springform cake tin with baking paper. There is no art or precision to this, I simply tear two sheets of paper and crisscross them so the paper extends above the height of your chosen tin.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment until smooth.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking after each addition to combine.
- With a large spatula, scrape down the side of the bowl before adding the cream and vanilla and mixing to combine.
- Scrape down the side of the bowl once more, add the flour and mix to create a silky smooth batter.
- Pour into your tin and bake for 65–70 minutes, until you see the cheesecake’s deliciously darkened top.
- Remove from the oven.
- The cake will still wobble as though it is undercooked, but as it cools it will harden.
- Leave it in the tin for 10 minutes before removing it to cool completely.
- Serve at room temperature, on its own.
- This cake does not need a single thing added to it.
Download this podcast here