Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Needles found in punnet of strawberries

Sewing needles have been found in a punnet of strawberries sold at Woolworths, causing a man to be hospitalised after swallowing one.

On Monday, a 21-year-old Burpengary man ended up in hospital after he swallowed a needle hidden inside a strawberry he was eating.

Queensland Police and health authorities are investigating after three strawberry punnets laced with sewing needles were sold at a Woolworths in Brisbane, and two stores in Victoria.

Health authorities are advising anyone who has bought punnets of ‘Berry Obsession’ or ‘Berrylicious’ strawberries from Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria to throw them out immediately.

Queensland Health’s Chief Health Officer Dr Jeannette Young says the fruit originated from a southeast Queensland farm.

Woolworths has temporarily removed the berries from shelves.

Queensland Detective Terry Lawrence believes the contamination may be deliberate.

Photo: Facebook / Joshua Gane

Advertisement