Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap WATCH to start the live stream.

Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap LISTEN to start the live stream.

Thanks for logging in.

You can now click/tap LATEST NEWS to start the live stream.

on air now

Create a 2GB account today!

You can now log in once to listen live, watch live, join competitions, enjoy exclusive 2GB content and other benefits.

Joining is free and easy.

You will soon need to register to keep streaming 2GB online. Register an account or skip for now to do it later.


At least 50 dead after terror attack on New Zealand mosques

Article image for At least 50 dead after terror attack on New Zealand mosques

A 28-year-old Australian citizen has been charged with murder, after a terrorist attack on mosques in New Zealand that has left at least 50 people dead.

Brenton Harrison Tarrant has not applied for bail and will be remanded in custody until April 5.

At least one gunman opened fire at Masjid Al Noor mosque in central Christchurch and the Linwood mosque, resulting in multiple casualties.

Police have confirmed a number of improvised explosive devices were attached to vehicles, but were rendered safe.

New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush has confirmed 51 people are dead and another 50 people injured.

One of the perpetrators used social media accounts to live stream the horrific shootings and has posted a so-called manifesto.

28-year-old Brenton Tarrant identified himself in the social media videos.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison has confirmed he is an Australian-born citizen.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says her thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by the attack.

“This is one of New Zealand’s darkest days.”

– Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern

“There is no place in New Zealand for such extreme acts of unprecedented violence.”

The Bangladeshi cricket team was reportedly in the vicinity of one of the mosques at the time of the shooting.

Schools in the area were placed on a lockdown that has since been lifted.

Newshub Christchurch reporter Annabel Tukia was on the scene at the Masjid Al Noor mosque and tells Ben Fordham she spoke to a woman who hadn’t seen her son since the shooting.

“She dropped her son off to go in to start the prayers and went around the corner to park the car.

“In that time the shooting occurred.

“She has not heard from her son since.”

Click PLAY below to hear the full interview

Radio NZ journalist Belinda McCammon tells Chris Smith “these mosques don’t have security.”

“The first mosque… it was at peak prayer time, there were reports of up to 400 to 500 people in the mosque.”

Click PLAY below to hear the full interview  

New Zealand’s former foreign affairs minister Gerry Brownlee tells Ben Fordham “it’s not a good afternoon, it’s a bloody awful afternoon.”

“It’s not us, it’s not the way we live.

“It doesn’t matter where he comes from, or what his background is, he’s a criminal.”

Click PLAY to listen to the full interview

Click PLAY below to hear an audio package of the events so far