on air now

Woman dead after mental health patient goes on CBD stabbing rampage


One woman is dead and another in hospital after they were stabbed in a violent attack in Sydney’s CBD.

A 20-year-old man, believed to have escaped from a mental health facility, allegedly went on a rampage on King St, between Clarence St and York St.

The situation has come to an end with footage showing members of the public restraining him underneath a milk crate and a chair.

The man can be heard screaming, “Shoot me! Shoot me in the f**king head!” and “Allahu Akbar”, with police confirming this is now part of their investigation.

Warning: Coarse language

A 41-year-old woman was stabbed in the back inside a hotel and has been taken to hospital in a stable condition.

It was initially thought she was the only victim but a 24-year-old woman’s body was later found inside a fourth-storey apartment on Clarence St.

Uber Driver Leon was caught in the middle of the attack, telling Steve Price the man jumped over the bonnet of his car near the Grace Hotel.

“He did have a knife in his hand… he had a little bit of blood on his shirt.

“Everyone was just running away from where the fire brigade truck was and the next thing I saw this guy jumping over the car.”

Click PLAY to hear the full interview

NSW Police Superintendent Gavin Wood has commended the members of the public who detained the attacker.

“They were bold, they were brave. They approached a person with… clear evidence of a stabbing previously.

“These people are heroes.”

Listener Peter tells Ben Fordham the attacker was chasing another man.

“It’s a pretty harrowing experience. A large islander guy… he was being chased, he was running for his life there’s no doubt about it.

“He was as scared as anything, petrified.”

Click PLAY to hear the full interview

NSW Police Minister David Elliot tells Ross Greenwood the members of the public acted bravely.

“I think the city is celebrating three brand new heroes tonight.

“It proves that you don’t need to have a police officer in Sydney on every single street because we’ve got the bravest citizens known to man.”

Click PLAY to hear the full interview

Sky News journalist Laura Jayes was at the scene and posted a video of the suspect being arrested.


Motorists are being told to avoid the CBD.

Two of three eastbound lanes of King Street have reopened as well as two of four northbound lanes of Clarence Street.

King Street is also closed between Clarence Street and York Street.

The Clarence Street entrance to Wynyard Station has reopened.


Feature image: Twitter/@kartiklad