Three men arrested over alleged Melbourne terror plot
Three people have been arrested in counter-terrorism raids in Melbourne this morning.
The dawn raids started at about 3 o’clock, with Victorian Police, AFP and ASIO officers executing four search warrants in the North West Metro Region.
The three men – aged 30, 26 and 21 – have been taken into custody.
They’ve all been charged with planning a terrorist act.
It’s alleged they had been trying to acquire a semi-automatic rifle in recent days and were planning a mass-casualty attack at a “crowded place” in Melbourne.
Terror raids: Victoria Police Chief Graham Ashton says while the location of the planned attack hadn’t been chosen, the accused had a “view toward a crowded place” to kill as many people as possible.
— Pat Mitchell (@patty_mitchell) November 19, 2018
Police say the investigation was not sparked by November 9’s Bourke Street terror attack but has been ongoing since March.
All three of the men are Australian citizens of Turkish background, have had their passports cancelled this year and were “inspired by ISIS”.
Two of the three men have no criminal record, one had a record of failing to display L-plates. None were on bail or parole.
Police says the threat has been contained and there is no ongoing risk.
More to come…