Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Killed Australians identified, as Sri Lanka blames little-known group

Macquarie National News

Sri Lankan officials say the terrorist attack that killed 290 people, including two Australians, was carried out with the support of an international network.

The country’s government is blaming a little-known local jihadist group for the attack.

The two Australians killed have been identified as mother Manik Suriaaratchi and her daughter Alexendria, 10, pictured above.

Two Australian women – one in her mid 50s, the other in her 20s – have also been injured.

One is being treated for shrapnel wounds, while the other has a broken leg. Both are in stable conditions.

24 people have been arrested in a series of raids.

Meantime, there’s a growing row over an apparent failure in communication in the lead-up to Sunday’s devastating attacks.

A spokesman has revealed the Prime Minister had long been excluded from intelligence briefings and was kept in the dark about recent information that warned of possible attacks.

Speaking at one of the bomb sites, Sri Lanka’s Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando disputed any suggestion there had been an intelligence failing.

Churches and luxury hotels were targeted by suicide bombers in the Easter Sunday terror attacks with another explosive device found near Colombo International Airport.

Australian man Sam, 27, was having breakfast with a friend at the Shangri-La Hotel in Colombo when two bombs went off.

“A lot of people around us were covered in blood – we both had blood on us,” he told Macquarie National News.

Sam wasn’t hurt, thankfully, telling 3AW he was about “5 to 10 metres away” from the initial blast.

Chris Smith speaks with terrorism expert, Professor Greg Barton, about the attacks

Australia’s political leaders condemned attacks, with Prime Minister Scott Morrison being briefed on the situation.

Opposition leader Bill Shorten said his thoughts were with Australia’s Sri Lankan community who would be in shock at the extent of the attacks.

At least 35 foreign nationals have been killed.

Anybody with concerns about loved ones is asked to call Foreign Affairs on 1300 555 135

Macquarie National News
Advertisement