Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Mixed messages around ‘dirty backroom’ marine parks proposal

Confusion and outrage continue to reign over the proposed marine parks along the NSW coast.

Minister for Primary Industries Niall Blair previously told Ray Hadley a proposal to establish 25 marine parks isn’t about locking out fishers but is a bid to prevent a possible future Labor government from implementing complete lockouts.

Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party MP Robert Borsak is due to meet with stakeholders this afternoon and has spoken with Luke Foley about the proposed plan.

“I had a chat with Luke and what he’s saying as late as this morning is that they won’t be implementing any new marine parks,” he tells Ray.

“The [Nationals] are out there in the media at the moment actually alleging that we’re going to do a dirty backroom deal with Labor.

“[It’s] just a bloody complete lie!”

Despite what Mr Borsak may have been told by Mr Foley, Labor’s Shadow Minister for the environment, Penny Sharpe released a media release on August 16 saying:

“Labor has been committed to a single, iconic marine park for Sydney since 2014 and under a Foley Labor Government a Sydney Marine Park will be established, not a series of disparate reserves tagged with the marine park label.

Labor’s multi-use Sydney Marine Park would run from Port Hacking to Pittwater and including the harbour waters in between, and would be open to the public and cater for a range of sustainable activities including fishing, boating, dolphin and whale watching, swimming, snorkelling and kayaking.”

“Someone needs to tell Penny that according to Luke this won’t be happening,” says Ray.

Click PLAY below to hear the full interview

A frustrated Mr Borsak says the Liberal government need “to come out clearly and say exactly what they are gonna do”.

“They’ve already said they’re gonna do it, now they need to come back and unequivocally say they’re not gonna do it.”

Advertisement