‘I knew the risks’: Good Samaritan endangers life twice to save dog from burning home
A council worker and passerby have heroically rescued a 58-year-old woman and her dog from a fire in the Hunter Valley.
28-year-old Zach Tobin was riding his pushbike home for a lunch break when he heard a smoke alarm, prompting him to knock at the door NSW Police Detective Inspector Matt Zimmer told Jim Wilson.
“He then saw some smoke coming out of the back window, so he’s gone round to the back of the property, looked inside and then he’s seen the loungeroom engulfed in flames.
“He didn’t hesitate, he went straight in.”
The disorientated woman and her 10-year-old Maltese Shih Tzu Subwoofer both escaped without injury, thanks to Zach’s actions.
“After they went out the first time, [Subwoofer] ended up running back inside to the house, so the male … risked his life again.”
Press PLAY to hear the full story
Zach himself joined Jim Wilson to explain his split-second decision to face the flames not once, but twice.
“I rescued a beautiful boy Labrador last week, so I knew that I had to get that dog.
“I wouldn’t have done anything else.
“Both my parents are firefighters and I’ve got a building background, so I knew the risks and was prepared to take them.”
Press PLAY below to hear his firsthand account