Happy Baking! Listener shares the simple shortbread recipe we all need
Listener and baking extraordinaire ‘Nana Shoogle’ is generously sharing her simple Scottish shortbread recipe.
Listener Ruth, a.k.a. Nana Shoogle, phoned in on Monday asking if she could bring Ben Fordham, and his team, some biscuits.
She’s isn’t giving away all her baking secrets but has agreed to give out her family’s tried and tested Scottish shortbread recipe.
Nana Shoogle tells Ben the butter you use in this recipe HAS to be butter, not some other fancy spread.
It should also be unsalted.
We’ve taste-tested her biscuits and can confirm they are delicious.
In Nana Shoogle’s words, ‘Happy baking!’
Nana Shoogle’s Shortbread
- 10oz Plain Flour
- 4oz Castor sugar
- 4oz Cornflour
- 8oz Butter (250g block) straight from fridge cut into cubes
- Mix all the dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Throw in butter cubes (lightly cover them by hand with the dry ingredients)
- Using the K beater on the mixer, mix on approximately speed 5 until the mix becomes a dough
- Roll out on to floured surface and cut into biscuit shapes of your choice.
- Bake on 170 until golden on floured or baking trays lined with parchment paper.
- Dredge with some Castor Sugar whilst hot then allow to cool.
Ruth says these biscuits freeze well.